Everybody is talking about Math.
At least, that’s how it seems. Teaching through Inquiry, the 3-Part-Lesson, Number Talks, High-Ceiling/Low Floor Questions. Less questions with deeper understanding….but how? How do I put it all together. I, brilliantly, decided to sign up for a Math-Lead position at my school. It’s exciting and terrifying all at once. I really want to get all this and do better by my students but I’m also worried I’ll fail publicly and fantastically at it. But let’s see if I can try to deconstruct what some of these ideas are and where the resources are too.
After a quick Google search (yes, that’s where I started…why not?) I found quite a few really interesting websites. So, to quell my fears and help me try to start to make sense of it all I’ve compiled them here. Once I start going to more PD I’ll share what I learn. Hopefully it will be a bit more focused.
The 3 Part Lesson Plan:
- E-Workshop has a good template
- Professionally Speaking has a sketch on what the parts are.
- Ontario Math Resources Has a whole bunch of ideas and resources
- The Ministry of Education has this to say
- Kyle Pearce & Tap into Teen Minds looks at a 4 part Model…it’s pretty cool.
- Here are some posts by http://www.otffeo.on.ca/en/?keywords=3-part-lesson
Inquiry/ Open Ended Questions
- Marian Small ‘s website (she is the queen of Math Education…at least, she seems to be..seriously, she’s EVERYWHERE…but in a good Yoda kinda way)
- Ministry Of Education on Inquiry (Probably should have already read that…)
- Which One Doesn’t Belong
- You Cubed
French Resources for Math:
- Pour Parler Profession
- Mme Mallory
- Allo Prof (This site is more about Math is French than 3 part Math…but hey! It’s still good)
- Art of Mathematics This site had a good explanation. (but the video would be painful for anyone but teachers)
- Jeremy Barr has a bunch of lesson ideas AND FSL stuff!
This is just a start. There were so MANY websites (heck, there’s at least one whole school based on Inquiry that popped in the first search page) But to not completely overwhelm myself or any other reader (Is anyone actually reading this?) I will stop here, for now. Here’s hoping that my future PD will selp me synthesize some of this into a more helpful and palpable post. In the meantime I at least have gathered all these sites in place that I can reference in the future.